Junior Doctors declare nationwide strike over salary delays, postings

The Junior Doctors’ Association of Ghana (JDA-GH) has announced a nationwide withdrawal of services starting Tuesday, October 7, 2025.
The decision follows months of salary arrears, delayed postings, and what the association describes as persistent unfair treatment of its members.
In a statement signed by President Dr. Louisa Afia Nkrumah and General Secretary Dr. Rhoda Wun-nam Amadu on Thursday, October 2, the association disclosed that more than 200 junior doctors have worked between 10 and 14 months without pay. It also noted that the salaries of some medical officers already on the government payroll have been suspended without explanation.
“More than 200 junior doctors have worked for between 10 and 14 months without pay,” the statement said. “Additionally, the salaries of some medical officers who were previously on the government payroll have been suspended without explanation.”
The JDA further revealed that over 800 medical officers have been awaiting posting for the past 16 months, despite repeated engagements with the authorities.
“Despite goodwill shown towards the government, no solutions have been offered. The continued exploitation of junior doctors will no longer be tolerated,” the statement added.
According to the association’s directive, outpatient services will be withdrawn from October 7 to 9. Beginning Friday, October 10, emergency services will also be withdrawn until further notice. However, current inpatients will continue to be managed until discharge, but no new admissions will be taken.
The JDA placed full responsibility for the disruption of healthcare services on the Ministry of Health and the Government of Ghana. “We urge the government and all relevant stakeholders to take immediate steps to resolve this crisis,” it stressed.
Discover more from Today Ghana
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.


Police arrest suspect over GH¢430,000 robbery at Buipe cattle market
US imposes new sanctions on Cuban officials and firms
GAF denies probe into former CDS Oppong-Peprah
Gov’t to integrate Saglemi into major industrial-residential corridor – Mahama
GH¢500m allocated for district housing rollout, Mahama says
Dr. Julius Debrah urges Ghanaians to make sanitation a daily responsibility
NPP gives national election aspirants more time to file nomination forms
Oppong Nkrumah hints at review of Supreme Court ruling on legal vacation cases