NAIMOS attack: MPs must face the law like all citizens – Majority Leader

Majority Leader in Parliament, Mahama Ayariga ,says lawmakers are not above the law and will always submit themselves to due legal processes when required.
Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, November 4, Ayariga stressed that Parliament itself enacts the laws and provides funding for the agencies that enforce them, hence legislators must cooperate with such institutions.
“We don’t consider ourselves being above the law; we are always ready to be accountable for our actions and inaction,” he said.
His remarks followed the invitation of Asutifi North MP, Ebenezer Kwaku Addo, by the police over allegations that he instigated attacks on the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) team in the Ahafo Region.
Ayariga explained that he was informed about the case by the Minister for the Interior and subsequently facilitated the MP’s appearance before the Criminal Investigations Department (CID).
“This morning he went with our Majority Chief Whip and his lawyer; they received him at the CID headquarters and took him through the processes. I received a call not quite long ago that he had been taken to court. As we speak, he is in court being arraigned,” he told the House.
He emphasised that Parliament respects the rule of law and would not obstruct investigations involving its members. “We passed the laws defining crimes, we approve the appropriations to finance law enforcement, and we invite these agencies to Parliament for accountability. Therefore, we will not in any way hamper them in the discharge of their duties,” he said.
Ayariga added that MPs accused of wrongdoing must take responsibility. “At any time any of us is alleged to have committed an offence, we will own up and defend ourselves to establish our innocence,” he noted.
Meanwhile, Ebenezer Kwaku Addo has denied claims that he incited a mob to attack NAIMOS officials.
“Under no circumstance will I incite the youth against security officers and any government-planned agenda,” he said, adding that he helped restore calm in the area.
He urged the public to “disregard false narratives aimed at tarnishing my reputation,” reaffirming his commitment to maintaining peace and supporting law enforcement.
Discover more from Today Ghana
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.


GAUA, TUSAAG suspend strike action pending further negotiations
Kumasi spiritual centre housing 2,000 mentally ill persons faces closure
CEO of Kessben Group, Stephen Kwabena Boateng dead
IES urges urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout
Big Push Road projects targeted for completion by end of 2027 – Deputy Roads Minister
Fire guts house near Manhyia palace in Kumasi